Church Service During and After Christmas
All Saints' Episcopal Church - Glen Rock, NJ
Enter
keywords

Glen Rock High School caring for the community with new Red Cross Club

The American Red Cross is widely known throughout the United States, with its thousands of followers who want to make a difference. This is a nonprofit organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief, and disaster preparedness education in the United States. Not only does the Red Cross help those in the United States, but they offer support to over 180 countries worldwide, helping nearly 143 million people each year outside the U.S.

Students at Glen Rock High School now have the opportunity to help and contribute to this organization through the newly established club. GRHS students Mia Vergel De Dios and Jake Neubart, are the presidents of the new Red Cross club, followed by Vice President Jillian Hoza, and Secretary Ellie Scherer. 

The club’s main goal is to raise money for the less fortunate all around the world. They do this through bake sales, blood drives, food drives,  and other fundraiser events. They are hoping to raise up to $400 throughout this school year according to Vergel De Dios. The club currently needs more members. The students who sign up will receive community service hours.

“Mia and I founded this club to help people outside of our community who were forced out of their homes due to natural disasters,” said Neubart, who has been a Red Cross volunteer since March 2023. The Red Cross does this through fundraisers and by sending share kits. These kits consist of towels, food, and other necessities that can have a positive impact on people’s lives. Share kits are sent to the military and people all over the country who are struggling due to these worldwide natural casualties.

“The fact that the Red Cross is a non-profit organization, most of the activities we will do this school year to raise money will go directly to the people in need of it. The ability to instantly help people with your peers when you’re a part of the Red Cross is truly special,” said Vergel De Dios. Not only does this organization help those who need immediate medical attention but it also gives people the opportunity to bounce back from any disasters that have caused medical, family, or financial defects in their lives.

Thousands of people every day donate to contribute to the Red Cross. The national service has raised over three billion dollars in 2022 alone. 90 cents of every dollar goes to helping people in need, while the remaining 10% goes to keeping the organization alive. Join the Red Cross club to help make a difference.