Church Service During and After Christmas
All Saints' Episcopal Church - Glen Rock, NJ
Enter
keywords

The Glen Rock Pops Orchestra Introduces Two Young Musicians

Glen Rock Sophomore Olivia Lee’s and Senior Simon Bober’s have recently been accepted to join the selective Glen Rock Pops Orchestra. Despite their young ages, their talents haven’t gone unnoticed by the music industry. The Pops Orchestra is an ensemble of musicians who perform for the community and use their skills to introduce new types of music. Typically, only one out of ten auditionists get the spot. These musicians need to be able to focus and concentrate while also being consumed by the loud bass and the numerous strings in their surroundings

Lee, who has 7 years of experience playing the flute, is ecstatic to have been accepted into the orchestra. The Pops are usually looking for 1 to 3 flutists that can give it their all. To be a woodwind in the Pops (flutes, clarinets, and oboes are all woodwinds), it is very important to be able to project your instrument and master your part. Since there are only a few flutists per orchestra, a mistake can easily be heard by the audience. In order to meet the requirements, Lee must practice from four to six hours each rehearsal with a variety of older, more experienced musicians, something she has never done before, “I have been in other orchestras, but something about this feels different because I am normally in orchestras with people my age but this orchestra is truly a different experience,” Lee stated. She first discovered The Pops unintentionally when she performed at the Glen Rock Public Library during a wine-tasting event and had actually met The Glen Rock Pops there. It wasn’t until an organizer of the event reached out to Lee, recommending she connect with the orchestra that sparked her interest in joining.

Bober, a Senior at Glen Rock High School, experimented for a few years to find his calling in music. He expresses his initial interest in the drums which went on for a couple of years but never truly felt that spark. Around the 9th grade, Bober decided to take on the trumpet: “The trumpet instantly drew me in, as I would constantly listen to trumpet greats like Arturo Sandoval and Miles Davis.” His consistency and determination led him to auditions against multiple older professionals, and with much excitement he was approved as the first/double third trumpet in the orchestra. Bober describes playing with the Pops as an opportunity to elevate his musical abilities.

Unlike traditional orchestras, Pops interprets a wide range of music, including film soundtracks, Broadway hits, and arrangements of modern classics. By blending such a variety of different melodies, these performances appeal to audiences of all ages and musical backgrounds, creating an experience like no other. 

On Sunday, June 2nd, The Pops Orchestra will be performing to celebrate the Golden Age of Radio. Directed by Anthony LaGruth, they will be recreating songs by many talented artists who have gone down in history, such as Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, Hoagy Carmichael, the Gershwin boys, and Irving Berlin. This upcoming concert is free to the public and will be taking place at The Glen Rock High School, 400 Harristown Road, at 3:00 PM.