Church Service During and After Christmas
All Saints' Episcopal Church - Glen Rock, NJ
Enter
keywords

Spring Sports Are Starting!

As the sun begins shining brighter and the groundhog spots his shadow, we say goodbye to a cold winter and send off a warm hello to Spring and the sports it brings with it. The seniors who graduated last year made great commitments to driving the success of Glen Rock Athletics, and this year’s seniors look forward to following the same type of commitment that helped every team in their successes.

Boys Baseball: The boy’s baseball season started their first day of practice for pitchers and catchers on Mar 11, while the regular season started on Mar. 14. While the team is limited on seniors, they are looking forward to succeeding and beating last year’s record of going 21 – 6. Jack Hattersley, captain of the boy’s baseball team had some words on how his season would go. “Energy-wise, I’m all there. Ready to win this year. I’m ready to take home a ring for my final season. That’s my main focus, no time for losses.”

Girls Softball: “I think we will be very good this year. We have about 8 seniors which is really awesome. We have a lot of potential from the younger grades as well.” Stated Olivia Berard when asked about her predictions for the upcoming season. With a limited team, the girls went 15 – 10 overall and 10 – 2 in the NJIC Colonial division. Berard states “We have almost 15 freshmen which is really awesome because last year we struggled to fill JV and varsity” highlighting that the increase in numbers will help the team this season.

Boys Lacrosse: With the boys’ lacrosse team ending a stellar season with an overall record of 9 – 5 last year, the boys are out for redemption this season. With an unfortunate loss to Mountain Lakes, the boys are hoping to settle the score. Emmett White, a captain of the boy’s lacrosse team states that “[I am] excited … hoping to make it another deep run. I have the same energy as I had at the start of basketball season.”

Girls Lacrosse: In the 2022 – 23 season, the girls’ lacrosse team had a great season going 14-6, just barely losing to Westwood in an intense 10 – 9 game. Ally Zamparelli, a senior captain and goalie for the girls’ lacrosse team, stated some of her goals for the team that she believes can happen this year. Zamparelli asserts “We don’t have a redo next year… I hope we make it to at least the third round of states. I know if we use our full potential we can make it all the way.”

Boy’s Tennis: The boys’ tennis team ended off their 2022-23 season going 16 – 5 when they lost a close game with New Providence. The team lost a few great players, but they hope to keep their record strong with more wins and fewer losses. Michael Witmer, a senior captain of the boys’ tennis team, had a few words to inspire any new underclassmen willing to try tennis: “I hope to inspire the underclassmen to tell them to talk to new people and tell them tennis is for everyone. Try your hardest and you are guaranteed to have a lot of success.”

Girls Golf: A final send-off in the 2022 – 23 season with the score being 1 – 5 was not ideal for the girls’ golf team. Now the girls are determined to play better and bring more to the sport. This year, more girls are joining the team which means there could be hidden talent that will help the girls win more games. Senior Jena Jakubaszek mentioned that she has high expectations for the team and that there could be a possibility that Maggie Harris and others can make it to States.

Boys Golf: “I think my individual season will be my best one yet, and for the team, I believe we will play against higher-ranked schools” Asserted Senior Captian Colin Robinson. The boys’ golf team had a record of 12 – 7 last year and an outstanding score of 10 – 0 in the Colonial Division. Robinson believes that with his newfound determination, his performance will be much better. The underclassmen look to improve their performance while also having fun on the course, and improving their swings.

Boys Spring Track: The boy’s team for spring track looks to be ready with a lot of people ready to put their hearts on the line and break their times. Jacob Cece, a senior captain for the boys’ team noted, “I think our team is going to be talented this year. We have a lot of seniors and a lot of underclassmen willing to step up this year. I think it would be great to win the championship and get some PRs for the team.”

Girls Spring Track: The girls’ team for spring track had a great season last year, and this year the seniors hope to make this season even better for the underclassmen. Abbey Mazin, a captain of the girls’ team states her vision and goals for the upcoming season. “I just hope the girl’s team forms a community and a drive to do the best we can. Winning isn’t everything although it is exciting. As a team, the most important thing for this season is to be a team and enjoy moments together as a group.” Mazin asserts that the girls can be very successful and of course that the goal is to have fun and enjoy the sport.