Church Service During and After Christmas
All Saints' Episcopal Church - Glen Rock, NJ
Enter
keywords

Honoring our “Veteran Giants”

Veterans Day has been a federal holiday since 1919 and was proclaimed as a time for Americans to thank and pay respects to those who have served in the armed forces.  Though the country should show our appreciation throughout the entire year, a day reserved for citizens to stand together as a nation ensures we can recognize veterans for their service giving veterans comfort and acknowledgment that their sacrifices did not go to waste.  Service members who devoted the majority of ther lives to the military or servied in special operations elite units, such as the Navy SEALs, the day can take on an even deeper meaning. 

Stephen “Mato” Matulewicz, is a former Command Master Chief (SEAL) of the United States Navy and honorably served over 24 years.  Mato worked his way to his incredible ranking through many of his earlier accomplishments.  Along with his academic successes, to include the Naval War College, Mato served with SEAL Team FOUR, TWO and Development Group, also known as SEAL Team SIX.  After his long and high risk years within the Navy, he concluded his career in 2007, retiring as the Ninth Command Master Chief of SEAL Team TWO. 

Since Mato’s retirement, he has continued to advise and maintains tremendous pride in his “brothers” who continue the mission for the country and also admires those who served before his time in the Navy. 

“I stood on the shoulders of Veteran giants,” Mato said, speaking about those who came before him.  There is a strong bond of the “brotherhood” and the close relationships that have been formed through their dangerous, secretive, and high risk service.

Navy SEAL training is considered some of the hardest military training in the world.  In order to become a Navy SEAL, the importance of a strong mindset to do everything and anything for our country is a necessity.  The word SEAL stands for sea, air, land, and describes the areas these military personal work.  Simply understanding the qualifications to becoming a SEAL should not be overlooked in order to thank our heroes who are often underappreciated for their perseverance. 

“The amount of teamwork and trust built from the commitment of being a SEAL is remarkable,” Carolyn Mullen said, who is a veteran of the U.S. Navy.  She is currently working for the Navy SEAL Foundation and raises money for the active duty and veteran SEALs and their families. 

Within the Glen Rock High School community, a survey was released where 80% of responders could not name any 5 veterans.  But 100% of people could name 5 celebrities.  Mato reminds us that showing appreciation doesnt have to take much, “All I would ask is that Americans fly an American flag on Veterans day.”  We can also attend a parade, support a veteran nonprofit, say thank you or help veterans struggling.  Veterans day is not only to thank our veterans, such as Mato, but we can also thank the families.

Less than 1% of Americans service in the armed forces and saying thank you and recognizing their service is something all American citizens should do. 

Awards: Bronze Star, Defense Meritorious Medal (3 awards), Joint Commendation Medal (3 awards), Navy Commendation Medal, (2 awards), Joint Service Achievement Medal (2 awards), Navy Achievement Medal (3 awards), Combat Action Ribbon (3 awards), Afghanistan and Iraq campaign medals and many other personal and unit awards.