Church Service During and After Christmas
All Saints' Episcopal Church - Glen Rock, NJ
Enter
keywords

Audrey Damis: NJSIAA Volleyball Postseason MVP

The NJSIAA Girls Volleyball State Tournament is officially over. On Oct. 27, Junior Middle Blocker Audrey Damis, wearing number 11 on the court, helped lead top seeded Glen Rock to victory in the first round of states over Manchester Regional  with a total of seven kills, two digs and a block. On Oct. 31, 2023, Damis was named one of the postseason MVPs in the NJSIAA.

From the moment Damis stepped on the volleyball court she immediately realized volleyball was the sport for her. “I remember practicing in my backyard the summer before sixth grade, preparing for the tryout. When I walked in I was so nervous being in the youngest grade. When I made the team I was so happy and felt lucky to be on the team with many older girls. I started playing as a middle at this time and [became instantly infatuated] with the position,” Damis shared.

High School was the time when she truly found a passion and deep love for the sport. “I think that my high school years have been when I realized that I truly love volleyball. I love the feeling of getting a block and ending the play right there, or getting a great kill. I love the technique and details that are so important with volleyball. I also love the high energy of volleyball and the amazing feeling when you are on a roll. ”

When Damis entered high school, she was placed on the freshman team and the following year, she was able to earn her way as a varsity starter as a sophomore. During her sophomore year, Damis had a total of 32 kills, 14 blocks, 4 digs, 1 assist and 2 aces. 

Damis was willing to do anything to improve her skill and to approach all aspects of playing. The drastic changes in her stats and successful outcome to her season allowed her to achieve her goals. With the intense pressure of her coaches wanting to win, Damis was able to carry the team to victory. 

On Sept. 23, for the first time in program history, the team won the Leonia Tournament. Following this accomplishment, Damis helped bring the team to success to win the Bergen County Invitational Tournament in the final game against Paramus on Oct. 21 with 5 blocks and 10 kills. 

“During practices, Audrey’s hits help me become a better player because we do [play] teams with amazing [middle’s], so practicing with [her] helps me prepare for these harder teams,” shared junior outside hitter, Anna Kang. Other players feel that Damis is not only a strong player but she is always there for the other players and knows how to lift everyone’s spirits in rough games or practices. 

“Her encouragement also motivates me to become a better player because I might feel down on the court, but her encouragement helps me bring back my energy,” Kang added.

Glen Rock has wrapped up their season after a tough loss to Bogota in the Section 1, Group 1 of the NJSIAA Tournament semifinals with a record of 23-5. Damis has ended her Junior season with a total of 211 kills, 31 digs, 3 assists, 86 blocks and 6 aces. In the 2024-2025 season, Damis will step back onto the court for one final ride continuing as the starting Middle Blocker, hoping to improve her hitting, blocking, serving and having a higher vertical.