Behind code blue

Back to Article
Back to Article

Behind code blue

The AED helps students and teachers who are having medical issues. This AED was loaded with materials needed for emergencies, such as drug overdoses, heart attacks, seizures, and allergic reactions.

by Sydney Baig, Staff Writer

This past week, over the loudspeaker, you heard “This is a code blue drill.” While this is announced in every classroom and hallway, many students may have wondered what’s going on.

A code blue is if a student or teacher needs medical care immediately, drill or non.

“I have approximately ten members, they all have to be super certified, which they all are,” said school nurse Robin Leone. “They have to prove it, and they have to give me their cards.”

Students and teachers will rush to the area during a code blue announcement, and whoever’s there first will start the CPR compressions.

Leone said that volunteers have to undergo some training in order to be prepared for an emergency, like the student EMTs who work to help students or teachers in need.

“I have three students who are seniors, they’re EMTs, so they’re part of our team as well, which has been very beneficial,” Leone said. “They’re quick to run, as well.”

If it’s an active code blue, or just a drill, the team runs to the room or to the field, depending on where it is. They grab an Automated External Defibrillator, more commonly called an AED, which has all of the materials needed, such as the AED itself and both an epipen and narcan. The epipen is used in the case of an allergic reaction. Narcan, a recent addition to the box, is for a drug overdose.

The first person on the site will start the chest compressions, while the second person brings the AED and begins CPR.

The students needed to get their CPR certifications, and then Leone had a meeting with them. She gave them all of the instructions and what she anticipated from them.

“During a drill, I monitor them. They know the first person on the scene is the leader. The leader will direct everyone what to do,” Leone said. “They’ve been trained, they’ve been supervised, they’ve been instructed, they have detailed information on what to do.”

According to Leone, there’s never been a real code blue event, but the training and drills continue to prepare for the future.

About the Writer
Sydney Baig, Staff Writer

Sydney Baig is a freshman at Glen Rock High School. This is her first year writing for the Glen Echo. Sydney enjoys playing tennis, watching action movies,...