Chamber of Commerce hosts holiday gift wrapping event

Back to Article
Back to Article

High school students wrap gifts for the Glen Rock Chamber of Commerce’s holiday gift-wrapping event on Dec. 1. The event took place on Dec. 1 and 15 as an effort to bring attention to local businesses in Glen Rock. All the proceeds of this event were donated to CUMAC, an organization that fights hunger.

Photo Credit: Rebecca Greene

Photo Credit: Rebecca Greene

Photo Credit: Rebecca Greene

by Madelyn Willoughby, Copy Editor

On Dec. 1 and 15, the Glen Rock Chamber of Commerce hosted a holiday gift wrapping event at the Creative Den, a store in town that recently opened.

The event was hosted by Chamber of Commerce members Rebecca Greene and Kristen Bond as an effort to bring attention to local businesses in Glen Rock. The event was advertised on Facebook and was posted on the high school National Honor Society Schoology page.

Greene believed that a charity event would be successful in Glen Rock because of the many people willing to volunteer.

“It’s a very good town when it comes to volunteering,” Greene said.

During the event, high school students wrapped gifts for customers in exchange for donations. The Creative Den, a new business in town, provided their space and supplies for the event. This facility is used as a space for people to take art classes and see featured work from artists.

Photo Credit: Rebecca Greene
High school students wrap gifts for the Glen Rock Chamber of Commerce’s holiday gift-wrapping event on Dec. 15. The event took place at the Creative Den, a new store in town where customers can take art classes and rent the space.

The proceeds from the event went to CUMAC, an organization that helps fight hunger in areas of northern New Jersey. Greene and Bond were inspired to donate their proceeds to this charity because it gave high school students the opportunity to volunteer while providing the Creative Den with exposure.

High school junior Rebecca Podd volunteered at the event on both Dec. 1 and 15 after she found out about it through her peers. Podd was excited to volunteer at this event because she thought it was a festive way to raise money for charity during the holiday season.

Podd is a member of the National Honor Society and Girl Scouts, and she often volunteers for both. However, she finds that even without these obligations, many of her peers still donate their time to raise money for those less fortunate than them, especially during the holidays. This month, Podd and her peers have volunteered at many gift wrapping and holiday themed events for charity.

In the coming months, the Chamber of Commerce is also planning to host a street fair in the spring to further help bring attention to local businesses in Glen Rock.

About the Writer
Madelyn Willoughby, Copy Editor

Madelyn Willoughby is a junior at Glen Rock High School and this is her second year working for the Glen Echo. In her free time she works with the Glen...