Relay for Life co-advisor brings strong influence to program

Back to Article
Back to Article

Amanda Sproviero and Rochelle Forstot pose for a group photo at a local Relay for Life event.

Photo Credit: Amanda Sproviero

Photo Credit: Amanda Sproviero

Photo Credit: Amanda Sproviero

by Michael Silver, Staff Writer

Behind the glowing orange flames spotting the football field, one teacher moves forward to the podium, all eyes turning to face this leader, who organized this event

And the woman behind Glen Rock High School’s Relay for Life team is Amanda Sproviero, a math teacher at Glen Rock High School. She is the co-advisor for Relay for Life in Glen Rock, playing  an influential role for the organization in Glen Rock .

Relay for Life is a foundation created by the American Cancer Society in which communities across the country participate in raising money for the needs of cancer research. It assists folks with cancer with their daily necessities, such as rides to and from treatment and new wigs for patients. Relay for Life is made possible by volunteer coordinators, like Sproviero, who bring the fundraiser to their local communities.

Sproviero started as co-advisor in the high school program five years ago, but she was introduced to Relay for Life when she was studying at The College of New Jersey. She immediately fell in love with the charity.

“I really like that it brings a lot of people together for a good cause. We have fun bands, activities, and it’s a time to celebrate, but also raise money for cancer,” Sproviero said.  

For a person like Sproviero, who has to juggle her job as a teacher with one of biggest roles in one of our schools, this event can be time consuming. Running a fundraiser for Relay for Life can be a whole day’s event, and she also has to attend  school meetings as well as the committee meetings in Fair Lawn.

Sproviero’s co-advisor, Rochelle Forstot, who is a Special Education teacher in Glen Rock, emphasizes how important Sproviero is to our school’s Relay for Life team.

“She is the driving force behind Relay for Life in Glen Rock,” Forstot said. “She knows it all, she handles all of the virtual paperwork and arrangements; she is instrumental in making this all happen.”

One of Relay for Life’s latest events was the school volleyball tournament, in which each participant donated $5 towards cancer research. There was also a gift wrapping at Barnes and Noble this past weekend. Events for Relay for Life coming up a bake sale on Dec. 18, and a Relay for Life 2019 Kickoff in the cafeteria on Jan. 31. The Relay for Life car wash will also take place on May 4, which is one of their biggest events of the year.

About the Writer
Michael Silver, Staff Writer

Michael Silver is a sophomore at Glen Rock High School. This is his first year writing for the Glen Echo. He likes to read and write, especially about...