Boys Soccer wins its first Bergen County Soccer Championship

Glen+Rock+looking+to+get+revenge+against+Ramsey+after+last+years+controversial+call.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Glen Rock looking to get revenge against Ramsey after last years controversial call.

by Rob Zamparelli, Sports Editor

The boys soccer team had one thing on their minds ever since the seedings for the Bergen County tournament came out. The Panthers were given the 9 seed despite their undefeated record and impressive run to the semi-finals last year. Glen Rock was ready to get revenge in the county final against 2 seeded Ramsey.

In the championship, the Panthers got on the board quick with an amazing goal by Senior Ben Zakowski right off the bat. Zakowski then followed up with another goal that gave Glen Rock a 2-0 lead going into the half. Junior Ryan McCarthy then netted in the 3rd and final goal to ice the game in the 2nd half. Overall, Glen Rock played a great game against one of the toughest teams in the county in the biggest moment of the year so far.

Sophomore midfielder Dylan O’Malley stated how important it was for the boys to do well in the tournament after last year’s devastating loss to Ramapo in the tournament. This loss was highlighted by a controversial call late in the game on a throw-in which gave Ramapo the lead. “We wanted to win the country final as redemption from last year, we wanted to put our town on the map and make a legacy we would never forget,” O’Malley said. 

Glen Rock swept through the competition in the tournament, defeating Lyndhurst 6-0, Don Bosco 2-1, number 1 seeded Old Tappan 4-1, Paramus 1-0, and number 2 seed Ramsey 3-0 in the final.

The four teams that had reached the semi-finals were Glen Rock, Paramus, Ramsey and Waldwick. These schools are all public schools, many of which that had gotten so far by some extraordinary upsets.

Glen Rock will now move onto the state playoffs with hopes to win the triple crown after winning both their league and county finals. 

Glen Rock is currently seeded two in the playoffs and could possibly face Ramsey, the number 1 seed, in a potential rematch in the State Championship. Glen Rock will definitely want to show why they should be the top seed in the state championship.

About the Writer
Rob Zamparelli, Copy Editor

Rob Zamparelli is a sophomore at Glen Rock High School. This is Rob’s second year writing for The Glen Echo. Rob loves to watch and play all sports and...