Glen Rock football crushes Butler

Back to Article
Back to Article

Glen Rock football crushes Butler

Glen Rock and Butler finish strategizing their plans to win. They played the game in foggy weather.

Photo Credit: Sydney Baig

Photo Credit: Sydney Baig

Photo Credit: Sydney Baig

by Sydney Baig, Staff Writer

Glen Rock defeated Butler, 22-6, capitalizing on strong offensive performances by freshmen running back Andrew Sara, quarterback Mike McCarthy and sophomore Tommy Callahan, as well as a strong defensive effort.  

The Panthers and Bulldogs played in a light misty weather, which led to a sparse crowd. Most of the freshmen played during the sub-varsity game, with a few sophomores.

Butler also showed a good defense, but not good enough to overcome the Glen Rock attack.

Butler got the ball first and started at their own 42 yard line but the team’s offense struggled, Butler fumbled the ball on the drive, but managed to hold onto the ball, before punting the ball back to Glen Rock which started at their own 25 yard line. The first quarter ended scoreless.

Glen Rock’s first score came when Callahan made a great catch of a pass from freshman quarterback Mike McCarthy. Sean Egan, a freshman wide receiver, added the two-point conversion.

Sara, who played linebacker on defense, later intercepted a Butler pass and ran for a touchdown, making it 14-0. A 2-point conversion attempt failed.

Butler cut the score to 14-6 with a nice touchdown run by their #23, but Butler’s own 2-point attempt failed, as Glen Rock coach Steve Kurz said, “Don’t let him get the extra point.”

Glen Rock extended its lead after sophomore Jack Piazza recovered a fumbled punt at the Butler 4-yard line. Quarterback McCarthy was able to fake a handoff to Sara who took it himself into the endzone.

The Butler coach was motivating his team as he yelled at his team to “use two hands” when they weren’t able to catch the ball. The successful 2 point conversion led to the final score of 22-6.

Callahan was very proud of the team, and he talked about the win after the game. “It was a fun win in the rain,” he said. He added that he was “excited about the freshman talent.”

About the Contributor
Sydney Baig, Staff Writer

Sydney Baig is a freshman at Glen Rock High School. This is her first year writing for the Glen Echo. Sydney enjoys playing tennis, watching action movies,...