Coffeehouse 43 delights audience and performers

by Caroline Geoghegan, Staff Writer

The Mobius Art and Literary magazine hosted its 43rd Coffeehouse on Thursday, Dec. 7.

The event allows students to display their artistic talents, whether it be through singing, playing an instrument, performing stand up, or reciting original poetry. Coffee and baked goods are served for the audience, all provided by Mobius.

“[Coffeehouse] isn’t a talent show. It is a forum where students feel free to express themselves in front of a welcoming audience,” says Pat Mahoney, the Head of the English Department and adviser of Mobius.

[Coffeehouse] isn’t a talent show. It is a forum where students feel free to express themselves in front of a welcoming audience.”

— Ms. Mahoney

Coffeehouse has been a long-standing tradition for 22 years. The event is often praised for its chill, artistic atmosphere. Attendees often come to support a friend, and stay for the entertainment that is distinct from other events.

Mobius editor-in-chiefs Madie Jones, Luke Blomstrom, and James O’Rourke emceed the event. According to O’Rourke, Coffeehouse is a “triple threat”: by going to Coffeehouse, one supports the arts, supports their classmates, and supports consuming delicious baked goods. He says that one of the best parts of the Coffeehouses is its versatility- it is the only school venue that allows him to perform stand-up comedy.

Dylaney Sabino, a sophomore vocalist, performed the song “Remedy” with her friend Sofia Nolfo during the event. According to Sabino, one of the main draws of Coffeehouses is the relaxed atmosphere. Coffeehouse is an acoustic sit-down event, starkly contrasting the energetic outdoor vibe of Glenstock.

Coffeehouse started during the 1996-1997 school year, when student Bronwyn Purcell asked Mahoney if the Mobius literary magazine could host a coffeehouse based on the ones that were popular during the late ‘50s and early 60s. She wanted there to be an event for students to perform, as events like Glenstock had been prohibited art the time.. After the popularity of Coffeehouse 1 caught on, Mobius decided to continue the tradition, and it now hosts two coffeehouses a year.

Mahoney said, “I think that the Coffeehouse tradition will continue as long as there are students who are interested in expressing themselves in this way. It’s been a very important part of my work with students here at the high school. I certainly hope the tradition continues long after I leave GRHS.”

The Coffeehouse tradition has been going strong for 22 years and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon.

Have you ever attended a Coffeehouse?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
About the Contributor
Caroline Geoghegan, Managing Editor

Caroline Geoghegan is a senior at Glen Rock High School and this is her third year writing for The Glen Echo. In her free time, she enjoys making sacrifices...