Church Service During and After Christmas
All Saints' Episcopal Church - Glen Rock, NJ
Enter
keywords

Segway seasons: a look into the contrast between winter and spring

As the winter season comes to a close and spring approaches, there are a lot of new changes in the atmosphere. The obvious ones, such as weather and clothing options, are big but the fact that people’s schedules become different and so do genres in entertainment (music, movies, and TV shows) may be overlooked. Many people have strong opinions about their preference for winter or spring. In a survey sent out to Glen Rock High School students, 60% of respondents said they preferred spring over winter mainly because of weather, clothing options, and “overall vibe”.  

This winter, fashion trends such as oversized sweatsuits, cropped, padded jackets, puffer vests, and platform uggs were prevalent. And of course, everything came in a neutral color palette. This is a slight contrast from winter ‘22 which saw a lot of cargo pants, turtle necks, collared tops, and black plaid. In past springs athletic wear along with more flowy clothes, such as the Lululemon “Fast and Free” shorts were popular. In a survey sent out to Glen Rock High School students, responders said they were looking forward to wearing mini skirts, denim shorts, and sundresses this spring. 

In the transition between winter and spring, big changes also happen in the entertainment industry. Both seasons are prime for new releases, winter being the start of a long season where most people are home and have the chance to listen to a lot of music and spring is a segway into summer. A lot of artists release their new songs or albums then to get people excited for the upcoming season. By the time summer hits, all the new spring releases are on people’s playlists and circulating the media. New music to look forward to this spring includes songs from Sza’s unreleased album “Lana” and the release of Beyonce’s country album, “Cowboy Carter”. Also, new songs by Kanye West and Ty Dolla $ign, Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, and Meghan Trainor are all highly anticipated. 

In the film industry, there is a big connection between the current season and the type of movies that are premiered. According to an article by Ampere Analysis, “One of the most significant factors influencing the genre of films in each month is school holidays. Film studios aim to take advantage of the Easter, summer, and Christmas holidays by releasing light-hearted family-friendly films to which parents can take their children.” These would include action/adventure, comedy, and animation films. Specifically in summer, there is a rise in action/adventure and comedy movies, with over 15% of films released in July and August falling under the comedy genre, and action & adventure making up over 10% of the films released over May, June, and July. Animations make an appearance during the seasons with more grand holidays such as fall, winter, and spring. Classics such as “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (October 1993), “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Movie”(December 1964), and “Hop” (March 2011) all fall under this category. It’ll be exciting to see what new fashion and entertainment trends arise this season!