Church Service During and After Christmas
All Saints' Episcopal Church - Glen Rock, NJ
Enter
keywords

The end of an era

Photo Credit: Jenesis Brun
A packed Warner Theater the saturday before closing

On Sunday, January 28th the Warner Theater in downtown Ridgewood took its final bow with a screening of the 2024 “Mean Girls” musical. The theater that sits between Cupcakes by Carousel bakery and the telephone building has been open since June 15, 1932, putting in almost 90 years of service. It started as a one-screen theater, but by 1984 three additions had been added, making it the four screens it was by the time of its closing.  

A statement by the Bow Tie Partners, who own the theater read, “Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic caused dramatic changes to the movie theater business, particularly in older venues, and the business is no longer viable at this location.” 

Since the coronavirus outbreak in 2020, viewers have turned to streaming services, such as Netflix or Hulu, to be able to watch their favorite movies and TV shows. Most new films are put onto these websites simultaneously or shortly after they are released in theaters, meaning people don’t need to go out to see them as much as before. 

“I definitely think my preference on where to watch movies has changed since COVID,” said sophomore Maddie Hoefle. “It’s just way easier and more comfortable to watch a movie from home rather than go to a movie theater.” 

These circumstances have taken a big hit on the cinema industry and are a big part of the shutdown of the Warner Theater. Despite this, Bow Tie Partners still plans to incorporate the visual arts into their new space. 

“Bow Tie Partners… is currently evaluating multiple scenarios for redevelopment… including conversion back to a single auditorium to be used as a performing arts venue.”