Church Service During and After Christmas
All Saints' Episcopal Church - Glen Rock, NJ
Enter
keywords

Calling All Bookworms!

If you’re someone who feels like they need a book buddy or even a group of friends to talk to while reading a book, you’re in luck! Ms. Jaretsky and Ms. Romanski, with the help of some book fanatics, are so excited to bring Glen Rock High School its first-ever book club. This new book club features a one-book and 30-minute meeting per month time commitment. Students will have the opportunity to suggest books of their favorite genres and even be able to opt in or out depending on their own schedule or feelings toward the book.

The purpose of the club? To create more love of reading and engage in the popular novels today. But for sophomore, Victoria Johnston, one of the founder of the book club, the purpose of this club is so much more than that.

To Johnston, reading has always been second nature, “So many of the pictures of me when I was younger I have a book in my hand.” Many of her peers, however, cannot say the same. A lot of the kids and adults, even have bad memories tied to reading. Johnston understands this feeling of dislike and disinterest that many of her fellow students feel when reading or even fathoming the idea of a book. But she believes that it’s in the power of a good book to really draw in a reader.

“So many students think that reading is boring because they haven’t been able to find a book that they love. By joining the book club these people will get the opportunity to explore different genres and books covering many ideas to hopefully find their own fondness for reading.” To her, the benefits of reading have all been significant in her life today. Johnston feels that reading not only helps her relax and decompress but also helps to gain a new perspective on the world. Many of the books in our modern time express their true feelings unapologetically, and through that, a glass window can be opened to peek through a new view.

The perks of the club doesn’t just stop at its immersive reading experience. The club involves a collegiate-level discourse to heighten your abilities as a reader and a speaker. Not only that, but it offers leadership opportunities to those who feel like they want to get more involved. For those who don’t, no worries, since by joining the club this year, new students are considered to be founding members of this new GRHS club.

Reading is known to be one of the most positive actions one can take to improve their physical and mental self. Johnston attests to this, stating,

“Even now, although I have access to my phone and social media which seem to be so much more appealing sometimes reading is always going to be my favorite activity. ”. So if you’re someone who’s looking to turn over a new leaf with the beginning of this school year, consider joining the book club. Social media addict one day, book fanatic the next.