This week in the news: December 1 – December 7

Back to Article
Back to Article

Former presidents Obama, Clinton, and Carter stand alongside President Trump at a funeral service for former president George H.W. Bush. Bush’s family announced on Nov. 30 that he had passed away. He was buried next to his wife and daughter at Texas A&M University.

Photo Credit: Flickr

Photo Credit: Flickr

Photo Credit: Flickr

by Kate Casey, Editor-in-Cheif

The NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs cut their top running back, Kareem Hunt, after TMZ released a video of him attacking a woman on Dec. 2. The Cleveland Police Department are conducting an investigation of the incident and how the NFL was able to obtain the police report in February.

On Dec. 4, an independent autopsy confirmed that death of Emantic “EJ” Bradford Jr. was a homicide. On Thanksgiving night, Bradford was shot three times from behind by a police officer, who believed he was a suspect of shooting in an Alabama Mall.

On Dec. 5, the NHL confirmed Seattle’s bid to introduce their own hockey team. The team will begin playing in the 2021-2022 season.

On Dec. 5, USA Gymnastics filed for bankruptcy while they attempt to reach settlements with numerous suits against the organization. The suits are a response to the sexual abuse scandal of a team doctor, Larry Nassar.

On Dec. 6, democrat Dan McCready withdrew his concession following allegations that there were cases of absentee ballot fraud in the North Carolina congressional election. As the investigation continues, the state election board is considering ordering a new election.

After former 41st President of the United States, George H.W. Bush died on Nov. 30, a funeral service took place at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. He was later taken back to Houston, his hometown, and was buried next to his wife at Texas A&M University on Dec. 6.

On Dec. 6, two U.S. Marine Corps aircrafts crashed off the coast of Japan during routine training. Only the two of the seven crew members were recovered, one of which was killed in the collision. Japan’s Coast Guard and Maritime Self-Defense Force joined the search for the five Marines still missing.

On Dec. 7, Kevin Hart announced that he would not host the Oscars this year, following a public uproar regarding anti-LGBTQ tweets he posted.

About the Writer
Kate Casey, Editor-in-Chief

Kate Casey is a senior at Glen Rock High School and this is her fourth and final year writing for The Glen Echo. She volunteers at a tutoring program for...