Boys basketball loses opening scrimmage

The boys reflect on their performance versus Paramus. With JV on deck, the team had to move their post match discussion to the bleachers.

by Luke Brangaccio, Advertising & Business Manager

The boys basketball team lost to Paramus 38-49 in their first scrimmage yesterday, despite showcasing their quick offense and determination as a team.

Glen Rock improved steadily throughout the game, and outscored Paramus in the third quarter with Matt Kopyta, senior, scoring five, and Bobby Gifford, sophomore, and Colin McDevitt, junior, each scoring three apiece.

The effects of not playing together for nearly two months were felt by Glen Rock in the first half, as they were outscored 16-26 following a dreadful second quarter. Paramus outscored the Panthers 6-15 in this period, and scored six unanswered points near the end of the half.

The first quarter was back and forth from the two teams, with Johnny Piela, senior, scoring six of Glen Rock’s 10 points. The final score of this quarter was 10-11, and Ryan Harris, junior, also made his mark scoring four points.

Senior captain, James Boisits, believes his team performed nowhere near their best, and cites offensive irresponsibility as one of the main reasons why the team performed as they did.

“We lacked chemistry out on the floor, and we hadn’t played with each other in awhile, due to all the injuries in the fall,” Boisits said. “We definitely have to fix our turnover issue, because we can not have more than 20 a game.”

The game ended in the same fashion as it started, as the two sides traded points until Paramus pulled away 9-13. Gifford made it 11-13 with seconds left, but Glen Rock couldn’t find an opportunity to get the game tying basket.

“I think we’ll get used to it after we get a little more practice in. Coach has got a plan for us, you know, and we still got three other scrimmages to prove what we can do,” Boisits said.

About the Writer
Luke Brangaccio, Advertising and Business Manager

Luke Brangaccio is a senior who is in his second year writing for the Glen Echo. He spent last year as a staff writer, and is now the Advertising Manager. He enjoys both reading and writing and is excited for his second year of journalism.