How the money helps

May 15, 2015

Relay+for+Life+2012+Survivors

Photo Credit: Ted Burke and GRTV

Relay for Life 2012 Survivors

As of 2014, there were 318.9 million people living in the United States.  A single dollar bill has most likely encountered a decent amount of these individuals in its travels.  About 40.4 percent of these Americans will be diagnosed with cancer at some point in his or her lifetime and a single dollar bill can help make a difference.  If a person were to track a dollar bill that was part of a relay donation, where would it go?

72 percent of all resources go towards research, patient support, prevention information, education, detection and treatment.  The remaining 28 percent is divided between management, infrastructure and fundraising costs.

As the donations begin their very own journey, they find their way to the Hope Lodge, one of the most important facilities that the ACS provides.  The Hope Lodge is a place where cancer patients and their caregivers can stay for free while they undergo treatment away from home.  Without the worry of housing costs, the patient can focus all of his or her attention towards treatment.

The journey continues to benefit the ACS CHANGE grants.  These provide thousands of screenings to people in underprivileged communities.  No matter the financial situation, Relay for Life says that every individual should be inclined to health screenings, so the ACS is there to fill the gaps.

“Our family was definitely helped when my mother-in-law ended up with liver cancer.  She ended up with hospice care because her liver failed and eventually knew that there was nothing they could do for her, and so the American Cancer Society provided some of those services,” Walter said about the services that the ACS provides.  “They also helped my mother-in-law get a wig and be fit correctly for wig.”

Photo Credit: Kaitlin Cheico
Kaitlin Cheico (right) and her friend Kait O’Donohue (left) at their college Relay for Life

$160 million is spent on cancer research and health professional training.  $304 million is spent on patient support.  $153 million is spent on education and prevention.  $97 million is spent on detection and treatment.

“Through Relay For Life and the work the American Cancer Society is doing I have hope that we will have more cancer survivors,” Cheico said.  “Those who I know that are still going through their cancer journey are an inspiration to me.”

Leave a Comment

All comments are subject to approval by The Glen Echo's staff adviser.




The Glen Echo • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in